Arabnews

No Image

Atomic program to contribute to Vision 2030: Energy minister

Author: 
ARAB NEWS
Fri, 2017-08-04 03:00
ID: 
1501804260763051600

JEDDAH: The National Atomic Energy Program will be a strong pillar in achieving Vision 2030, said Khalid Al-Falih, energy minister and chairman of King Abdullah City for Atomic and Renewable Energy (KACARE).
The program aims to diversify energy sources and desalinate seawater, he said, stressing Saudi respect for relevant international agreements and treaties.
Components of the program are the result of extensive work carried out by KACARE over the past seven years, he added.
Al-Falih commended efforts by the KACARE team, headed by the city’s President Hashem bin Abdullah Yamani.
Among the most important elements of the program is developing national competency in uranium exploration, extraction and treatment, as well as operation, maintenance and development of atomic energy facilities, Al-Falih said.

Main category: 

No Image

KSA donates $33.7m to WHO to combat cholera in Yemen

Author: 
MOHAMMED RASOOLDEEN
Fri, 2017-08-04 03:00
ID: 
1501804260773051900

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia on Thursday donated $33.7 million to the World Health Organization (WHO) to help fight cholera in Yemen.
The pledge was signed in Riyadh by Abdullah Al-Rabeeah, supervisor general of the King Salman Center for Relief and Humanitarian Aid (KSRelief), and Mahmoud Fikri, director of the WHO’s Eastern Mediterranean office.
Al-Rabeeah said Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman promised $66.7 million to UNICEF and the WHO to combat cholera in Yemen.
A total of $33 million was donated last week by KSRelief to UNICEF, and the balance of $33.7 million came on Thursday.
Al-Rabeeah said KSRelief is working closely with Yemen’s Ministry of Public Health and Population, the Saudi Health Ministry and UN agencies to contain the disease.
KSRelief previously donated $8.2 million to the WHO, and has supplied a convoy of more than 550 tons of medicine, medical supplies, and intravenous and oral solutions.
Al-Rabeeah reiterated his call for the UN and all international humanitarian agencies to stand firm against those who violate international humanitarian law by interfering in the supply of medicines to those in need.
Fikri told Arab News that the donation will be used for emergency aid for preventive and curative efforts undertaken by WHO to contain the deadly disease.
There will be more fluids supplied to patients through a larger network of technical centers, and a greater number of dehydration centers.

Main category: 

No Image

Martyrs’ families will be cared for: Riyadh acting governor

Author: 
MOHAMMED RASOOLDEEN
Fri, 2017-08-04 03:00
ID: 
1501804260753051300

RIYADH: Upon King Salman’s instructions, martyrs’ families will be well cared for in recognition of their services to the nation, acting Riyadh Gov. Prince Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Abdul Aziz said Wednesday.
The acting governor made the announcement while meeting a delegation from the Martyrs Association, headed by its President Saud bin Mohammed Al-Owais.
The prince told the delegation that the king and crown prince sympathize with martyrs’ families, and have guided public sector agencies to do their best to serve them. He said the government greatly appreciates the association’s services.
Meanwhile, the king will invite 1,000 relatives of Egyptian security forces who died defending their homeland to perform Hajj this year. The Kingdom will cover their airfare and other pilgrimage-related costs.

Main category: 

No Image

Iran’s claim it investigated attack on Saudi embassy slammed as untrue

Author: 
Essam Al-Ghalib | Arab News
Fri, 2017-08-04 00:56
ID: 
1501786886341929900

JEDDAH: There is no truth to the Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman’s claims that his country’s government has conducted an investigation into the attacks against Saudi Arabia’s embassy in Tehran and consulate in Mashhad, a government source said.
The attacks, in early 2016, were strongly condemned at the time by the UN Security Council.
A Saudi Foreign Ministry source said that the Iranian government has procrastinated and delayed the investigation, despite Tehran being informed that Saudi investigators would be on the ground in Iran between Dec. 25-29, 2016, to review their findings.
It was only four months later that the Iranian government called upon the relevant Saudi authorities to set a new date to meet. That date was set for July 3, but the Iranian authorities refused to allow permission for Saudi investigators to arrive by plane until Aug. 1, and only after the Saudi Foreign Ministry issued a statement regarding the investigation.
A Saudi Press Agency report stated two days ago that Iranian authorities had attempted to blackmail Saudi Arabia to gain certain diplomatic favors, despite sanctions being in place.

Main category: 

No Image

Information ministers from Anti-Terror Quartet countries discuss Qatar crisis

Author: 
Essam Al-Ghalib / Arab News
Fri, 2017-08-04 00:40
ID: 
1501785668781817400

JEDDAH: The information ministers of Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Bahrain and Egypt met here on Thursday to discuss the Qatar crisis, which has raised tensions in the region.
The ministers of the Anti-Terror Quartet (ATQ) countries discussed the importance of continuing joint media cooperation to confront extremism and terrorism of all kinds.
The importance of mitigating the effects of media hate speech sponsored by the government of Qatar was also on the agenda.
The ministers spoke about Saudi Arabia’s efforts to serve pilgrims and facilitate the performance of Hajj and Umrah for all Muslims including Qataris, and reaffirmed the Kingdom’s commitment to stop the Hajj from being politicized.
The meeting also dealt with a number of proposals that will enhance joint regional and international efforts to combat extremism and terrorism around the world.
The ATQ severed ties with Qatar on June 5, accusing it of supporting terrorism. One of the early demands made was for the closure of the Al Jazereea TV channel, which has been accused of giving a platform to terror groups.

Main category: 

No Image

Over 69,000 pilgrims arrive at Jeddah’s King Abdul Aziz Airport

Author: 
Arab News
Thu, 2017-08-03 23:00
ID: 
1501780585531346600

JEDDAH: The number of pilgrims who have arrived for Hajj at Jeddah’s King Abdul Aziz International Airport since the start of the season on July 24 (Dul Qaada 1) has reached 69,308, via 394 flights, a 4.3 percent increase over last year.

The capacity of the Hajj and Umrah Complex at King Abdul Aziz International Airport is 3,800 passengers per hour with 320 counters to complete passengers’ procedures in a timely manner.

Meanwhile in Madinah, 164,136 pilgrims have arrived thus far. The National Pilgrim Guides Foundation pointed out in its daily statistics that 10,957 pilgrims have left the city, while 153,179 pilgrims remain.

Main category: 

No Image

Makkah’s Jamarat facility to be cooled by 750 water-spray poles throughout Hajj

Author: 
ARAB NEWS
Thu, 2017-08-03 21:57
ID: 
1501778959021212000

JEDDAH: Makkah Region Development Authority began implementing a cooling project in the western area of ​​the Jamarat facility, in addition to the Jamarat-Mina road, with 750 water-spray poles.
The project covers an area with a length of more than 10,000 meters with water-spray poles supplied through two main stations. The spray-poles, along with other cooling ventilation methods, will operate throughout the Hajj season, which will provide respite from the heat in an attempt to make pilgrims more comfortable.
The project is among a number of projects supervised this year by the Makkah Region Development Authority.

Main category: 

No Image

The hunt is on: Saudi authorities out to catch serial cat killer

Author: 
Aisha Fareed | Arab News Staff
Thu, 2017-08-03 18:07
ID: 
1501762118029831800

JEDDAH: Saudi authorities have launched a manhunt for a serial killer with a difference – the culprit has claimed the lives of countless cats, sparking outrage across Jeddah after posting videos of the killings on social media.
The cat-killer, a man believed to be in his 20s, posted several video clips on social media of him killing any cat that crossed his path. The disturbing footage shows him shooting the innocent felines with what appears to be a rifle.
He then leaves his victims writhing in pain as they die an agonizing death.
Apparently the gun-toting killer took to social media to vent his frustration over how the furry felines were messing up his car, forcing him to get it washed four times a week.
“For those who feel sorry for the cats, give me the money for four carwashes a week,” the killer said on the video.
But his actions have caused a backlash, with Twitter users posting furious reactions demanding he be punished. There is even a trending hashtag: #WeDemandThePunishmentOfCatsKiller.
“He deserves to be punished! hope they find him & lock him up! Such a sick b******,” said Zara.

#نريد_محاسبه_سفاح_القطط
He deserves to be punished! hope they find him & lock him up! Such a sick bastard

— زَارّا(@freshzarra) August 2, 2017


“Please help, there’s a slaughterer shooting cats in Jeddah KSA I wish if you do anything,” another tweep said in an urgent plea for authorities to catch him while tagging the animal rights organization People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).

 

Please help, there’s a slaughterer shooting cats in Jeddah KSA
I wish if you do anything #نريد_محاسبه_سفاح_القطط #AnimalRight pic.twitter.com/jlZhG7HK7p

— SҺanna (@__shain1997) August 2, 2017


Others called for staff at Snapchat, the app the cat killer used to share his video, to track and ban the offender: “Hey @Snapchat & @snapchatsupport it’ll be great if u track & band such awful behavior from sick mind people.”

 

Hey @Snapchat & @snapchatsupport it’ll be great if u track & band such awful behavior from sick mind people #نريد_محاسبه_سفاح_القطط https://t.co/J1vXJBaCYC

— @Sultan_Batawi (@Sultan_Batawi) August 2, 2017


Others have called into question the man’s mental health: “If you kill a cat you’re probably losing your marbles,” one user said.

 

If you kill a cat you’re probably losing your marbles.
#نريد_محاسبه_سفاح_القطط

— M4jidka (@m4jidotibey) August 2, 2017


Another agreed saying “Killing animals is an obvious sign of psychological behavior.”

 

Killing animals is an obvious sign of psychological behavior
#نريد_محاسبه_سفاح_القطط

— Hajar Almazyad (@Hajar_Almazyad) August 3, 2017


Now Saudi authorities have got involved as they try to stop the killings, ordering the arrest of the cat slayer.
The hunt has escalated with the Makkah Gov. Prince Khaled Al-Faisal and the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture also joining the search for the moggy murderer before more lives are lost.
In March 2017, three men who fed a live cat to their dogs were ordered by Dubai’s ruler to clean the emirate’s zoo every day for three months.
Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Maktoum issued the order after an online video was posted showing the cat being attacked and killed by two dogs.
The horrific video showed a white cat being pulled out of a cage by what appeared to be a Rottweiler dog, as the men goaded it on.
After a struggle, the cat goes limp and one of the men can be heard telling the dogs to “shut him up.”
Dubai police arrested the three men after the video appeared on social media.

 

 

Main category: 
related_nodes: 
Dubai ruler orders men who fed live cat to dogs to clean zoo
Animal abuse in KSA could lead to a fine of up to SR400,000

No Image

Iran’s refusal to investigate attacks on Saudi missions slammed

Author: 
ARAB NEWS
Thu, 2017-08-03 03:00
ID: 
1501706925405273000

RIYADH: Saudi diplomats and experts have slammed Iran’s refusal to investigate last year’s mob attacks on the Kingdom’s Embassy in Tehran and its consulate in Mashhad in 2016.
A Saudi Foreign Ministry official recently said Tehran continues to procrastinate about investigating the incidents.
The Saudi ambassador in Sudan, Ali bin Hasan Jaafar, said Iran’s behavior violates international laws including the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations (1961), which stipulates protection for diplomatic missions.
Saudi Arabia will take all measures to guarantee its diplomatic rights in accordance with international conventions, he added.
In Jeddah, the head of the Arab Gulf Center for Iranian Studies, Mohammed Al-Salami, said Tehran’s procrastination disrespects international conventions and laws.
He cited Iran’s long record of violating diplomatic missions over the past four decades, from the attack on the US Embassy in 1979.
Procrastination over last year’s attacks supports the possibility of involvement by Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and Basij forces, Al-Salami said.
International media specialist Fahd Al-Mulaiki said Iran is a vicious and dangerous country with subversive sectarian ideas aimed at tearing apart Arab society, especially in the Gulf, and supporting terrorist organizations.
The international community is fully aware of the malign regional role of Iran and its terrorist proxies such as Hezbollah in Lebanon and the Houthis in Yemen, he added.
Former Jordanian Minister of Administrative Development Bassam Al-Amoush said Tehran’s refusal to investigate indicates its involvement in the attacks. Tehran has orchestrated many attacks on neighboring Arab countries, he added.

Main category: 

No Image

Madinah set to serve Hajj pilgrims

Author: 
ARAB NEWS
Thu, 2017-08-03 03:00
ID: 
1501706925415273300

JEDDAH: Madinah governorate has started implementing its plan to serve pilgrims and visitors to the Prophet’s Mosque during this year’s Hajj season, the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported.
The plan of the governorate and its affiliated municipalities covers environmental health, markets, public hygiene, road safety, lighting and a 24-hour monitoring system throughout the Hajj season.
Mayor of the Madinah region, Mohammed bin Abdulhadi Al-Amri, said the plan will mobilize human and material resources to provide the highest level of service to pilgrims. The plan is being supported and followed up by Madinah Gov. Prince Faisal bin Salman.
It takes into consideration the safety of pilgrims and visitors to the Prophet’s Mosque and its environs.
The plan also takes into account increased commercial activity, the number of pilgrims, speedy delivery of services, intensification of environmental health services, how to face the anticipated waste increase, combating commercial fraud, keeping streets tidy, and ensuring the safety and quality of food and water.
The plan will monitor roads used by pilgrims on a 24-hour basis, and stores’ compliance with required health certificates.
It entails operation of government and private slaughterhouses with strict controls on veterinary measures and air pollutants.
It also entails 24-hour readiness to treat emergencies, respond to police and civil defense requests, transport the dead, and operate and maintain lighting networks, tunnels and other facilities.
More than 356 workers are assigned in the central area on a three-shift system for 75 days. Workers and equipment are distributed in all municipalities to ensure proper implementation of work.
Store owners are under strict instruction to allocate waste compressors that can be transported to designated disposal areas.
The plan includes strict controls on hotels, food-processing plants and restaurants preparing meals for pilgrims.
Environmental health teams are assigned to monitor stations and rest houses located on highways passed by pilgrims on their way to Madinah.
The governorate and government agencies related to Hajj service providers are coordinating to iron out difficulties that may impede the progress of plans and programs, and the mobilization of human and material resources.

Main category: 
Tags: